Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Self Confidence

Welcome back to Alex's book life!! As the AP test and school are wrapping up, my motivation to read has increased. At the beginning of the year, I thought I would read like 4 books entire year because I just didn't like book that much. Surprisingly, I am finishing my seventh book. As the year has gone on, I have really taken advantage of independent reading time. I felt forced to read at first, but I'm starting to enjoy reading especially when I'm stressed about school life. I do sometimes read outside of class. I read before bed, and it is one of the best way to prepare for sleep or even fall asleep while reading. During this year, I feel like reading really helped me with all of my classes and I'm pretty sure it'll help me with SAT and classes like AP English and AP US History next year.

As I was deciding about my AP book, my tutor suggested me a book called  The Color Purple by Alice Walker. The Color Purple focuses on the life of Celie, and how the world around her affects it. Celie starts off very broken. Physical and emotional abusement made Celie's early life nearly unmanageable. Through Celie's letters to God and her sister, she transforms from a lost girl to an strong independent woman. Celie's character reminds the world that our past doesn't define your future. In the novel, Celie is not treated fairly by many people, including her husband and stepfather. "He beat me today cause he say I winked at a boy in church. I may have got somethin in my eye but I didn’t wink. I don’t even look at mens."(18) 

This book reminded me of our society. Many people stays in the past, especially us, students. It is usually age 15-24 years old that are depressed and commit suicide. Everyone makes mistakes, but only few people gets trapped into that mistake. Most students felt hopeless about their future at least once in their life.  As a high school student, there are times when I just want to give up on everything. Biggest reasons are grades and relationship. We want to be perfect human being. We might think life becomes hard because we're not perfect, but in reality, people would appreciate a kindhearted person way more than who tries to appear perfect. We are all different for a reason. Trying to deny our uniqueness isn't going to benefit anyone. I realize that keeping your confidence might be very difficult sometimes, but trying to smile daily surprisingly helps you with your confidence. Let's keep our mistakes in the past and live your life. Remember, you only live once! 

1 comment:

  1. Interesting insight in the high school life. I go through this as well and it's good to know that basically every other high schooler goes through it aswell. The book sounds like it is a good book to read and I might pick it up. YOLO!

    ReplyDelete

Self Confidence

Welcome back to Alex's book life!! As the AP test and school are wrapping up, my motivation to read has increased. At the beginning of t...